I have adapted this recipe from several I found online. It can be used with cheaper cuts of chicken like thighs, other poultry like turkey legs, pork country ribs. Start this in a cold oven which helps the fat render without drying out the meat. The sherry gives it a really great flavor.
- 4-6 lbs of chicken, preferably thighs
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce (low sodium if you like)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4> teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- optional 1 ounce of sherry, note: please do not use cooking sherry it sucks.
- Mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, red pepper, water, sherry (opt) in a glass bowl. Toss chicken in mixture, cover bowl with plastic wrap and marinade for 1 hour in the refrigerator. Toss again after 30 minutes .
- Drain marinade and dispose. Place chicken on a foil lined roasting pan with skin side up.
- Place roasting pan in an unheated oven and then turn oven to 325. Roast for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove roasting pan from oven and transfer chicken to a serving dish. Allow to rest 15 minutes.